- I Want To...
- Learn About the Library
- 1.30 - Royal Oak Public Library Board Ethics
1.30 - Royal Oak Public Library Board Ethics
The Royal Oak Public Library is dependent on the trust of its community to successfully achieve its mission. Therefore, it is crucial that all Library Board members conduct business on behalf of the Royal Oak Public Library with the highest level of integrity avoiding any impropriety or the appearance of impropriety.
- Board members shall uphold the integrity of the Royal Oak Public Library and shall perform their duties impartially and diligently.
- Board members shall not engage in discrimination of any kind including that based upon actual or perceived race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, height, weight, condition of pregnancy, marital status, physical or mental limitation, source of income, family responsibilities, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
- Board members shall protect and uphold library patrons’ right to privacy in their use of the Library’s resources.
- Board members shall avoid situations in which their personal interests, activities or financial affairs are, or are likely to be perceived as being in conflict with the best interests of the Royal Oak Public Library. If a Board member believes that the potential for such a conflict exists, the member shall promptly inform the Board and the Library Director.
- Board members shall avoid having interests that conflict with the mission, vision, and values of the Library and that would lead the public to question their impartiality and objectivity. In connection with their duties as Trustee of the Royal Oak Public Library, Board members shall not knowingly accept gifts or compensation from any individual or organization that does business with the Royal Oak Public Library. Should a Board member receive such a gift or compensation, the member shall promptly inform the Board and the Library Director.
- Board members shall not knowingly act in any way that would reasonably be expected to create an impression among the public that they are engaged in conduct that violates their trust as Board members.
- Board members shall not use or attempt to use their position with the Royal Oak Public Library to obtain unwarranted privileges or advantages for themselves or others.
- Board members shall not be swayed by partisan interests or fear of criticism.
- Board members shall not denigrate the Royal Oak Public Library or fellow Board members or employees in any public arena.
- Free parking at Royal Oak City Hall shall only be applicable when conducting Library and Library/City-related business. Board members shall disclose any conflict of interest or potential conflict of interest prior to any deliberation or decision of the Library Board in which a potential conflict exists, and a Board member shall refrain from participating in any deliberation or decision where the Board member has such a conflict or potential conflict.
To preserve and uphold the Royal Oak Public Library’s reputation as an organization of unimpeachable integrity, each Board member shall fully comply with this policy during their tenure with the Royal Oak Public Library. At the start of each calendar year, or at the first meeting following a Library Board member’s appointment, he or she shall sign a copy of this policy, to be maintained on file with the Library Director, to signify that the Board member understands its terms and agrees to uphold its Guiding Principles.
Adopted 3/14/78; rev. 1/27/98; rev. 12/14/99; rev. 3/23/04; reviewed 9/25/07; reaffirmed 10/28/08; rewritten and approved 1/28/14; reaffirmed 12/3/2014; reaffirmed 12/13/16; revised 2/22/22.