Royal Oak Public Library Board is composed of nine (9) trustees, appointed by the Mayor. Responsible to the City Commission, the Library Board has direct responsibility for administration of the Library through adoption of policies, long range planning, development of the library budget, oversight of library finances and employment and evaluation of the library director.
The Library Board meets the 4th Tuesday of the month at 7:00 PM in the Friends Auditorium.
The Library Board is authorized by the Charter of the City of Royal Oak, Chapter Three, Section 48. The specific charge and powers of the Library are spelled out in Chapter 420 (Ordinance 215) of the Code of the City of Royal Oak, the Library Ordinance (As Amended) which was passed on January 28, 1929 and has been amended numerous times. The Library Board operates under the Royal Oak Public Library Bylaws.
The Royal Oak Public Library has developed a strategic plan for 2009-2013 based on community needs and values and informed by progressive library practices across the nation.
In the fiscal year ending in June 2010, Royal Oak residents continued to turn to the Royal Oak Public Library for their information and entertainment needs in increasing numbers. The circulation of library materials, the number of visits to the library, and the number of library card holders all continued to grow. However, the operating revenue declined as the nation’s economic problems directly impacted Royal Oak. Decreases in property values have resulted in decreased revenue generated by ROPL’s dedicated library millage. Other sources of operating revenue, including state aid to libraries, penal fines, and interest also declined significantly. Continued revenue decreases are projected for the next several years.
In 1856, Royal Oak Township established a library funded by penal fines and run by the township clerk. After considerable growth Royal Oak Township residents voted a .25 mill tax to establish a public library on April 3, 1916. The library became a city library in 1922 soon after the City of Royal Oak was incorporated. After "struggling with space" and making several moves, the library dedicated its current 42,000 square-foot library building in April 1963 at 222 East Eleven Mile Road. After 43 years, this building was thoroughly renovated and rededicated in 2006.
Adapted from the Library Research Service Return on Investment calculator code.
You are seeing a returned value of $ for every one dollar invested!