A collection of links on the Civil War, in commemoration of the 150th anniversary. These links including general information about the war, government and media websites, as well as collections of photographs, correspondence and diaries. We've also collected numerous links about Michigan's involvement in the civil -- including grave site locations, lists of events over the coming years and service records.
Over the next few years, be sure to visit the library for books and media, as well as displays, on the Civil War. If you have any suggestions for sites to add to this list, please leave us a comment on this post or on our Facebook.
- Civil War Artillery Project: Information on the variety of artillery projectiles used during the Civil War.
- Shotgun's Home of the American Civil War: One man’s attempt to provide access to a vast collection of Civil War information.
- Civil War Women: Duke University’s special collections exhibition about three women during the Civil War.
- Discovering the Civil War: A preview of the National Archives’ Civil War exhibition.
- Hearts at Home: Explores the lives of Southern women during the Civil War. (University of Virginia)
- Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System: A computerized database containing very basic facts about servicemen who served on both sides during the Civil War created by the National Parks Service.
- Civil War Maps and Charts: A collection of maps and charts from the Civil War put together by NOAA.
- The Civil War: 150 Years: National Parks Service
- Civil War Faces: Scans of the Liljenquist Family’s 700 ambrotype and tintype photographs, as donated to the Library of Congress.
- Abraham Lincoln (1809-1865): Scans of portraits of Abraham Lincoln spanning 20 years of his life and death, as presented by the Library of Congress.
- Selected Civil War Photographs: 1,118 photographs collected by the Library of Congress.
- The Men Who Killed Lincoln: A collection of photographs by LIFE.
- The Civil War: Celebrity Portraits: A collection of photographs by LIFE.
- The Best Civil War Photos: A collection of photographs by LIFE.
- The Last Living Civil War Vets: A collection of photographs by LIFE.
- Civil War: Death and Destruction: A collection of photographs by LIFE.
- African Americans and the Civil War: A collection of photographs by LIFE.
- The Civil War You Never Knew: A collection of photographs by LIFE.
- Abraham Lincoln: How He Aged: A collection of photographs by LIFE.
- Civil War Soldiers: Haunted Faces: A collection of photographs by LIFE.
- Mathew Brady’s Civil War Landscapes: A collection of photographs by LIFE.
- Rousing Civil War Posters: A collection of photographs by LIFE.
- Civil War Portraits of Women: A collection of photographs by LIFE.
- Civil War: On the Battlefield: A collection of photographs by LIFE.
- Civil War at 150: A collection of pictures by The Daily Beast
- American Civil War: History Channel’s Civil War section, includes videos and articles.
- American Civil War (1861-1865): New York Times's Civil War coverage.
- Civil War 150: Washington Post’s coverage of the 150th anniversary of the American Civil War.
- The Civil War: Ken Burns' Civil War TV series. (PBS)
- Civil War Series: WVTF's recordings of the Civil War Series with Dr. James Robertson, Jr.
- The Calvin Shedd Papers: The Civil War in Florida: letters from a New Hampshire Soldier (University of Miami)
- Civil War Diaries: The diaries of two Civil War soldiers, Gould D. Molineaux and Basil Messler (Augustana College)
- American Civil War Collection at the Electronic Text Center: home to a variety of primary source material on the American Civil War, including letters, diaries and newspapers. (University of Virginia)
- A Michigan Civil War Physician's Diary: the diary of Dr. Cyrus Bacon, Jr. (1837-1868), Assistant Surgeon, U.S. Army. (Michigan DNR)
The Civil War in Michigan
- Michigan and the Civil War: includes upcoming events, pictures, videos and more.
- Civil War Principals and Substitutes Index: A database listing the names of Michigan principal draftees and substitutes. It was created from original descriptive rolls of Civil War units (DNR)
- Third Michigan Infantry Research Project: Information about the Third Michigan Infantry regiment, its history, and the men who served in the "Old Third" during the American Civil War.
- Third Battery 1st Michigan Light Artillery: Information about the role of the artillery during the Civil War, 1861 - 1865.
- 2nd. Michigan Volunteer Infantry, "E" Company 1861-1865
- 7th Michigan Volunteer Infantry, Company B, Inc.
- 24th Michigan Volunteer Infantry of the Iron Brigade (Facebook)
- Michigan in the Civil War:A Guide to the Resources in the Bentley Historical Library (University of Michigan)
- Plowshares Into Swords: The Michigan Historical Museum’s special exhibit exploring how the Civil War changed Michiganians' lives (DNR)
- Civil War Site: Michigan State’s Civil War collection, curated by the University Archives and Historical Collections
- Selected Resources for Civil War Research : Provided by the Detroit Public Library and the Burton Historical Collection (PDF)
- Discover Collections: Includes Civil War photographs, manuscripts, service records, and death records (Seeking Michigan)
- Macomb County Civil War Connections: Includes cemetery locations, photographs, the names of veterans buried in Macomb County.
- Department of Michigan: Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War, Preserving the Memory of the Grand Army of the Republic
- The Civil War: Michigan Historical Museum’s mini-tour of Michigan’s Civil War history
- Civil War Service Records: Part of Seeking Michigan’s historical collection.
- Michigan in the Civil War: A database of the location of Michigan Civil War Veterans Graves.
- Study Michigan's Civil War history at these spots Detroit Free Press
- Replay chat with 2 Civil War expertsDetroit Free Press
- Thank God for Michigan? Another Civil War debateDetroit Free Press
Civil War: Fictional
- Gone With the Wind: Making an Epic (LIFE)
- Remembering the Civil War: Songs, films and books (Chicago Tribune)
- The Civil War on Screen (LIFE)