Goals and Strategies
Over the next three years, the vision of the Library as a community resource will move toward reality as we focus on three major goals:
By building strong partnerships in the community and with progressive leadership from the Board and staff, the Royal Oak Public Library commits to support Royal Oak as a vibrant place to live, work and play. The Library will develop as a shared community place of learning, relaxation and connection. Specific strategies will be to:
- Establish the Library as a community gathering space, both physically and virtually.
- Increase convenience and access to Library resources.
- Partner with writers, performers and visual artists to keep Royal Oak cool and culturally vibrant.
- Strengthen the city-Library relationship.
Support Lifelong Learning
The Library provides services, programs and materials for parents with babies and toddlers, for adults long past their days of formal education, and for all in between. Library services will be enhanced by addressing needs and desires of all segments of the population, focusing on resources for personal continuing education or for supplementing resources in area centers of learning. Specific strategies will be to:
- Expand collaborative partnerships with area schools and institutions of higher education.
- Improve the collection.
- Engage teens with an improved area, including soundproofed space, a teen book club and teen-only computers, as well as more materials and enhanced service opportunities.
- Engage seniors and people living alone.
Ensure Excellent Financial Stewardship and a Viable Infrastructure
The Library Board and staff take seriously their responsibility as effective stewards of public resources. Being creative in our approach to resource generation is necessary, especially in difficult economic times. Stewardship includes a commitment to the concept that the public resource is relevant and is used by as many people as possible. Specific strategies will be to:
- Investigate the opportunities and issues of district library status.
- Generate resources needed to support priority goals and strategies.
- Implement a staffing model that allows for seamless self-service and accessible, professional support for patrons.
- Improve processes and technology to manage inventory and increase transactions.
- Market the Library as a community resource.