The Friends of the Royal Oak Public Library promotes and publicizes the services of the Royal Oak Public Library, sponsors and assists with special programs, raises funds for materials and equipment and encourages gifts, memorials and endowments to the Library. Friends volunteer to help with Library programs such as the free book program, Reading is Fundamental (RIF) and the summer reading program. Others help on a weekly basis in the Library.
- Members receive a quarterly newsletter, early access to the Friends' annual used book sale, the satisfaction of helping in a worthy cause and tax advantages associated with your contributions.
- The annual membership fee is $10 for a single membership, $20 for family, $50 for a business or organization, and $100 for patron.
- The life membership fee is $200. To join, send the fee with your name and address to Friends of the Royal Oak Public Library, PO Box 494, Royal Oak, MI 48068-0494, or leave at the circulation desk.
Visit the Friends Used Book shop in the Library! You will find some fine bargains and help the Library too. The Friends have great deals on books, magazines, and videos; and, though small, a surprising variety and range of materials. Stop in on Mondays and Wednesdays 10:00 AM - 8:00 PM, Thursdays 12:00 - 8:00 PM, and Saturdays 10:00 AM - 3:00 PM. Call the library at 248-246-3700 to find out how to donate or if you would like to volunteer as a shop worker!
The Friends of the Royal Oak Public Library Board is elected from the membership at the annual meeting each September. Terms are three (3) years long. The Friends Board meets monthly on the third Monday in the Library.
- Margaret Blount, President (9/2015)
- Ann Barbour, Vice President (9/2015)
- Larry Baker, Treasurer/Book Sale (9/2016)
- John Pelegrino, Corresponding Secretary/Social Media (9/2017)
- Roxanne Plater, Friends Shop (9/2016)
- Melissa Kaunelis, Membership & Publicity/Newsletter (9/2017)
- Lyndsay Sloan, Recording Secretary & Publicity/Newsletter (9/2016)
- Jenni Beljak, Member-at-Large (9/2015)
- Kathleen Marcaccio, Member-at-Large (9/2015)
- Vanessa Salliotte, Member-at-Large (9/2016)
- Mary Beer, Member-at-Large (9/2017)
- Beth Sowulewski, Member-at-Large (9/2017)